Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mushroom & Onion Kugel

Though traditionally we eat sweet foods for Rosh Hashana, it wouldn't make sense to make every dish sweet.  You may be preparing a sweet sauce for your chicken (we often serve Apricot Honey Chicken), tzimmes, a simple honey-glazed carrot dish or many other sweet dishes.  If that's the case, let me suggest serving a Mushroom & Onion Kugel as a side. 

Some people look down on the humble button mushroom, but I love them.  Paired with onions, salt, pepper and egg noodles they make a delicious savoury kugel.  You don't have to stick to the button -- I often use crimini or a combination of the two.  I've also been known to throw in portabello when the mood strikes.  Use any combination of mushrooms you like to make this easy recipe.  And for me, the crispier the golden brown noodles on top of the kugel the better!  

By the way, cooled completely and wraped well, this freezes beautifully.


Mushroom and Onion Kugel
Serves: 8

This simple recipe was passed down from my grandmother, to my mother and then to me (with just a couple of small tweaks).  It's still one of my favorite items on the holiday table.

  12        oz.  egg noodles -- wide
  1          large  yellow onion -- peeled and roughly chopped
  3          Tbsp.  olive oil
  1 1/2    lbs.  mushrooms -- assorted, sliced
                      1/4" thick
  1          tsp. salt -- plus more to taste
  1/4       tsp.  black pepper
  3          Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  3          large  eggs

Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Drain well and pour the noodles back into the pot or into a large mixing bowl.

In a large skillet over medium-high, sauté the onions in olive oil for 8-10 minutes, or until they are soft and starting to brown. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and continue to cook until all of the mushrooms are cooked through and have released some of their juices.  This should take another 8-10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and their juices to the noodles and mix thoroughly.

Taste the noodle/mushroom mixture to check for seasoning. Add more salt or pepper if necessary.  When you're happy with the flavour, allow it to cool for a few minutes.  Then add the flour and eggs, mixing well.

Pour the mixture into a greased 9"x13" baking pan and bake at 375 for 55-60 minutes, until the top has turned a dark, golden brown and the kugel has firmed up.  Serve!

                                  

2 comments:

  1. This has always been my favourite kugel. My grandmother used to make it. When I moved out, it was one of the first dishes I learned how to make on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I liked you! My favourite and it's so easy. Shana tova!

    ReplyDelete