Thursday, August 12, 2010

Starting to think about Rosh Hashana (and meat kreplach)



It's been a hectic summer and though it feels like summer just started, we're less than a month away from Rosh Hashana.  It's hard to believe and I'm sorry if I'm making you think about something you're not ready for.  The good news is that there's still plenty of time to prepare goodies for the holidays.  

One of the things I love for Rosh Hashana (or erev Yom Kippur) is a steaming bowl of chicken soup with home made meat kreplach.  The silky dough surrounding the oniony meat filling is my favourite soup accompaniment. 

When I was growing up, my grandmother always made kreplach for the holidays and when my parents started our catering company, meat kreplach were always offered for Rosh Hashana. It's true that some time and work is involved in making them, but they really are quite easy to make and wonderful to have in the freezer.

A few years ago I put together a step-by-step kreplach demo (with pictures) for eGullet.org.  You can find the demo here. I  hope you try making them and enjoy them during the holidays (or anytime!).





2 comments:

  1. I've never had kreplach, I would like to try these someday, they look very exotic tasting- like European ravioli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could make some for you! They are like European ravioli, with slightly thicker dough. So good.

    ReplyDelete